The Church of Christ
located at 2600 Lawrence Street
in Dallas, Texas
is believed to be one of the oldest predominately African American Church of Christ in the Metroplex.
The congregation was started in 1928. This was
approximately 4-years after the congregation that became known as the Cedar
Crest Church of Christ was
In 1924, Evangelist K.C. Thomas came to Dallas from Oklahoma
to help revive the congregation that had been established under the leadership
of the Van Buren Church of Christ. The church, now known
as the Cedar Crest Church of Christ, rapidly grew in the
Oak Cliff section of Dallas.
Brother Thomas and the leaders of Cedar Crest decided to establish a
congregation in the North Dallas area of the
city and asked members who lived in the area to assist them in this effort. In
1928, housing patterns in Dallas
were different from present time. South Dallas was primarily a White area with
Jewish-merchant class residents residing near the Fair Park
area on South Boulevard
and nearby streets. African Americans
lived in neighborhoods just north of downtown primarily in the Thomas, Hall,
and State areas.
In 1928, the North
Dallas Church of Christ was organized
and met at 3812 ½ Thomas Avenue
until about 1941 when the government began purchasing property in the area to
construct project homes. Brother Phillip Thomas and P. Thomas Brown served as
ministers of the new North Dallas church.
Also, K.C. Thomas served as minister of the congregation. Evangelist Robert
Crawford served as minister for a short period of time.
Under the leadership of Evangelist H.H. Gray the
church purchased property at 2443
Macon Street in South Dallas.
The church, within a 2-year period, moved to a “V” shaped lot at 2600 Lawrence Street.
A small house was placed on the lot in 1941.
In 1944, Roy Winston, an African American
contractor and preacher from Oklahoma City
constructed the original Lawrence and Marder Church
building. The church was renovated to include classrooms and kitchen facilities
in 1957. Contractor Frank Carter constructed the original annex (educational
wing) for approximately $600.00.
A new auditorium was built under the ministry of
Evangelist Grover C. Washington. The auditorium, constructed by the Reynolds
Construction Company, was financed via a bond issue. The Lawrence & Marder
Congregation was one of the first African American congregations in Dallas to finance a
building project via bonds. The auditorium was completed in 1959.
In 1974, Brother Washington, the elders and many of
the members decided to relocate to Marsalis
Avenue in the Oak Cliff section of Dallas. This new
congregation became known as the Marsalis Avenue Church
However, the congregation at Lawrence & Marder
continued to proclaim the Gospel of Christ from its South Dallas location due
to the efforts of Christians including Leo Winn, Edna Baccus, Percy Johnson,
Emmitt Taylor, LeRoy McMath, Haywood Finell and many others who believed that it
was necessary not to abandon such an important work in South Dallas.
After years of struggling financially and loans
from Leo Winn, in 1994 LMCC retired a $60,000 obligation from
Church Loans & Investment Company of Amarillo, Texas giving it clear title
to all church properties near and about 2600 Lawrence Street. The church
acquired additional property in the area for future use.
Since 1928, many gospel ministers have served at
the historic South Dallas church including:
J.S. Winston, Leon Ivory, Ulysses Turner, James Maxwell, Grover C. Washington,
H.H. Gray, Roy Jackson and Carl Haley. Evangelist Jesse Jackson served as minister from April 1988 to
June 1991. On June 8, 1991, Robert E. Coleman of Benbrook, Texas
was selected minister of the congregation. Brother Coleman initiated many
programs during his ministry including a feeding program, back-to-school
supplies/clothing give-away, and a building program. Current Lawrence &
Marder facilities are the results of work initiated by Brother Coleman. Robert Coleman passed away on July 21, 1998.
In 2003, the church completed a $600,000 renovation of its educational wing and
In August of 1998, Church Trustees and Brothers at
LMCC initiated a search to replace Brother Coleman. On February 21, 1999,
Grover C. Washington returned to LMCC as interim minister. Brother Washington Passed away
on July 5, 2004.
On February 9, 2002, Willie Tucker was selected to
replace Robert Coleman as minister of LMCC. On April 30, 2011 Brother Tucker
retired and Brother Cephas Northcutt was selected interim minister commencing
with the first Sunday in May, 2011.
On February 5, 2012, Shelton Gibbs IV was selected minister of the
Lawrence & Marder Congregation. Brother Northcutt assumed duties as senior
minister to assist Gibbs.
The Lawrence and Marder
Street Church of Christ, since 1928, has
contributed to the spread of the Gospel of Christ by training and supplying
ministers, teachers, leaders and workers that have established congregations
By Bro Joe
The mission of the Lawrence and Marder
congregation is to teach the Gospel of Christ and train future teachers,
ministers and evangelists. Additionally,
the church must fulfill its commission given to it by Jesus Christ and be a
positive factor in the lives of residents in the greater South
The church will execute it mission and
assume a greater community service role in outh Dallas
by providing certain social, educational, community developmental, youth and
employment related programs to residents.
According to City of Dallas
census/demographics data there are 24,000 residents in the outh
Dallas area. The area is
bounded by the Oakland Street
bridge to the North, the Texas State Fair Park area to the East, Rochester Park and the Trinity
River to the South.
To meet the needs of
Dallas residents the LMCC Family will implement the following
expansion of its Saturday feeding program initiated in 1997
initiation of a family and substance counseling program.
initiation of a job connection telephone hotline listing employment and career
church will sponsor career awareness seminars for teenagers and young adults.
church will sponsor a Back-to-School clothing and study supplies program.
church will initiate a building fund program to upgrade meeting, classroom and
church will host effective parenting seminars for interested residents.
church will sponsor seminars on youth violence and gangs involvement.
church will sponsor weekly tutorials for area students.
at the Lawrence and Marder Church of Christ plead for all to live by
the religious practices and teachings of the New Testament. It is our
desire to restore in the 21st century the original Christian church
of the 1st century. It is our prayer that you may understand and obey
the will of God so that you can spend eternity in Heaven. We
acknowledge Jesus Christ as Lod and Sarvior.
New Testament is our only rule of faith and practice. You cannot
enter Heaven unless you do God's will (Matthew 7:21). If you love the
Lord you will keep His commandments (John 14:15). Jesus is the source
of eternal salvation to all who obey Him (Hebrews 5:9). We must obey
from the heart the form (pattern) of doctrine which the Bible
delivers (Romans 6:17).
Gospel is the Good News that Jesus died for sin, was buried and
raised, never to die again (I Corinthians 15:1-4). We obey that
pattern when we put to death our sinful ways and are buried in water,
raised to walk a new life (Romans 6:4).
church is located near
and Malcolm X Blvd at 2600
and Marder is a
gathering of believers in
South Dallas celebrating
Jesus' life &
What We Believe
access our Online Meeting Center for a scheduled
class, click on the link below.
login to our Membership Database to access info
about our church, click below.
access our Resource Center to learn about the
Church that Christ Built, click below.
submit a prayer request to our church for us to
pray, click on
the link below.